There’s more to vacuuming than just turning the power on and sucking away.
Use the right technique to make vacuuming your home a much more efficient and less time-consuming task.
Here are the best strategies on how to vacuum the right way.
Select the Right Vacuum
Getting the most out of vacuuming is largely dependent upon the specific vacuum you use.
Top quality vacuums are much more efficient than most budget models, especially if you have children or pets.
You must also keep your eye out for the Carpet and Rug Institute (CRI) labeling.
Vacuums that receive a CRI Seal of Approval effectively pass the organization’s three tests for soil removal, dust containment, and carpet appearance retention.
Know Your Machine
Take a few minutes to become familiar with your new vacuum.
Chances are that even if you’ve had your vacuum for multiple years, there are still a lot of extra features and components that you’ve overlooked.
Understanding all of the accessories, height adjustments, and special features is the key to effective home vacuuming.
Prepare Your Home
You’ll get far more from your vacuuming efforts if you prepare your home before pushing the power button.Here are the best ways to prepare your home for vacuuming:
- Dust First –Wipe down the entire room for dust first and then wait a few minutes so that it will settle before you start vacuuming.
- Pick Up Small Objects –Scan the room for small objects and pieces of debris that are too large for your vacuum to suck up.
- Move Big Objects –Clear toys, pet beds, and even furniture out of the way before vacuuming.
- Examine Delicate Areas – Certain types of carpet and rugs, notably looped styles like Berber, must be vacuumed delicately. Opt for a brush attachment over the normal “beater brush” on the bottom of the vacuum.
- Set Proper Height –Adjust the height of the vacuum for the length and style of carpet in that room. The manufacturer specifications for the device will have the recommended height settings.
Use the Proper Technique
A lot of people rush through the vacuuming process without taking the time to ensure they’re actually using the right technique.Here are the top tips for the best vacuuming technique:
- Go Slow –Vacuums work better when they are run slowly across the floor rather than quickly.
- Edges First –Use an attachment (such as a “crevice tool”) to clean the edges of your room before you start to vacuum the carpet.
- Two Passes –Do one pass in a horizontal direction across the room before doing another pass in a vertical direction for a cross-hatched pattern.
- Out of Room –Vacuum yourself out of the room by starting on the side farthest from the door and ending by stepping through the door and out of the room.
Utilize Your Attachments
Far too many people call it quits after simply vacuuming a room.
For the best results, you should switch from the normal vacuum (the “beater brush”) over to the variety of attachments that come with it.
In addition to using the attachments around the outside of the room, such as along the baseboards, you should also use them to vacuum off furniture and other upholstery, especially if you live in a home with pets.
After You’re Done Vacuuming
Just because you’re finished vacuuming a room, doesn’t mean that you’re done with the process quite yet.Here are a few things you can do to make life easier for yourself next time:
- Neutralize the Room –Finish your vacuum job by spraying a little bit of neutralizer to freshen up the smell of older carpets and rugs.
- Treat Carpet Stains – Wait until you’re done vacuuming to treat difficult carpet stains with a high quality carpet cleaner or similar device.
- Empty Filter –Clean out the filter after you’re done vacuuming. Change the bag if it needs to be changed.
- Clean Out Vacuum – Check the brushes and hoses for clogs after vacuuming so that your device is ready to go the next time.
- Make the Floor Shine – Mop your floor to make it shine. If it suits the type of floor you have consider using a steam mop for the ultimate finish.
It’s certainly not difficult to vacuum a room.
Yet taking the time to understand the process and implement the best techniques can make a world of difference in the final results.The top tips above on how to vacuum will ensure that your home is cleaner than ever before – and even help you vacuum less frequently.