Ceramic tile flooring has long been a staple as a popular flooring material in households for decades. Whether it is in kitchens, bathrooms, or entire homes, ceramic tile flooring is a timeless material that has a sense of class and durability.Ceramic tile flooring has a reputation as a material that is difficult to clean. Ceramic tile is a versatile flooring option that is cleaned in a relatively simple manner. You too can have bright, shiny looking flooring using only household materials that are widely available in any kitchen cabinet.
Whether your floor is ten years old or ten days old, we are here to help you make it look the very best no matter what.
How to Get Started
Ceramic tile flooring is comprised of clay, sand, and water. Although tile may be kept up relatively well through the use of simple vacuuming and mopping, there are alternative steps that should be taken to keep it looking it’s very best.
Some simple steps can be taken for maintenance purposes. Doing the following will prevent floors from becoming too dirty.
- If tile flooring is near an entrance, keep a mat near the door that will absorb the dirt off the ground from excess foot traffic.
- Have people take their shoes off before entering the house to prevent dirt and dust from being tracked throughout the household.
- Regularly sweep the flooring using a broom or vacuum. Having a vacuum will make the upkeep of your tile much simpler. Most will have a specific setting that will be catered towards cleaning this type of flooring.
- Wash tiles weekly. If you wait too long to clean the tiles, then the buildup of dirt and grime will be too much to overcome with simple maintenance.
The preceding steps are helpful for general ceramic tile floor upkeep. However, if you have heavy foot traffic, you may need to take additional measures. Young children and pets can bring in pesky dirt and mud causing a mess to occur in seconds.
For a deeper cleaning gather the following materials together:
- Mild detergent.
The Cleaning Process
You don’t need expensive cleaners or byproducts. Just do the following.
- Step one: clean off any excess dirt or surface material with a broom or vacuum.
- Step two: Create a mixture that contains a mild detergent and hot water. The solution can be concentrated by filling a bucket with hot water and adding just a couple of tablespoons of detergent. A little bit goes a long way in this particular circumstance.
- Step three: Apply the solution to the floor in entirety with a clean mop that is free of dirt and grime.
- Step four: Continually change the cleaning solution as it becomes dirty and hazy as to prevent an ugly residue layer from forming on the entire floor.
- Step five: After cleaning the floor, be sure to wipe off any excess water and dry the remainder with a towel or cloth.
Keeping tile flooring looking clean and new is not JUST about cleaning the tiles themselves. The grout between each of the tiles is just as important for a clean looking floor. The tiles can be sparkly clean, but if the grout is dirty, it makes the entire floor look unappealing.
The grout can be cleaned easily using a concoction consisting solely of three parts baking soda and one part water. This easy to make cleaning paste can be applied directly to unsightly grout on the spot. Next, make a secondary solution that is equal parts water and vinegar. Spray this solution on top of the baking soda paste.
Next, take a brush and thoroughly begin scrubbing all crevices of the grout. Wipe off the excess solution with only water and your grout will be looking new and refreshed in no time. Grout can be kept clean easier by applying a sealant multiple times per year.
Follow the steps we have provided for you and your neighbors will be at your house asking “How did you do it?”