Here´s the deal:
When looking for a pet carpet cleaner you want a machine that can:
- Clean up tough pet stains
- Remove smells and odor completely
- Restore stained carpets
There are lots of other pet related features that you might be interested in as well.
Short on time? Here are our top choices:
- Our Pick – Bissell ProHeat 2X Revolution Max Clean Pet Pro “Removes tough stains and odors. Tool for pet hair and comes with antibacterial formula“
- Budget Choice – Hoover FH50700 PowerDash Pet “Lightweight and great value“
- Premier Choice – Bissell Big Green Professional Carpet Cleaner Machine “Powerful cleaning and large tank size“
- Portable Choice – BISSELL SpotClean Pet Pro Portable Carpet Cleaner “Effective portable cleaner that comes with a pet stain tool and urine eliminator formula“
- BISSELL Turboclean Powerbrush Pet
- Hoover FH52000 Smartwash Automatic Carpet Cleaner
Scroll down to see our complete buying guide, full reviews of the top carpet cleaners and frequently asked questions.
Buying Guide for Pet Carpet Cleaners 2021
- 1 Buying Guide for Pet Carpet Cleaners 2021
- 2 What to Consider When Buying a Carpet Cleaner for Pets
- 3 The 7 Best Carpet Cleaners for Pets 2021
- 3.1 Bissell DeepClean Deluxe Pet Carpet Cleaner and Shampooer, 36Z9
- 3.2 Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Washer FH50150
- 3.3 Bissell ProHeat 2x Revolution Pet Full-Size Upright Carpet Cleaner and Shampooer, 1548
- 3.4 Bissell DeepClean Premier Pet Carpet Cleaner, 17N4
- 3.5 Bissell SpotBot Pet Handsfree Spot and Stain Cleaner with Deep Reach Technology 33N8
- 3.6 Bissell Powerlifter Powerbrush Upright Carpet Cleaner and Shampooer, 1622
- 3.7 Rug Doctor Deep Carpet Cleaner, Upright Portable Deep Cleaning Machine for Home and Office
- 4 Finding the Best Pet Carpet Cleaner – FAQ
- 4.1 Will Owning a Carpet Shampooer Replace Professional Cleaners?
- 4.2 Will a Carpet Shampooer Actually Clean Better Than a Vacuum?
- 4.3 How Can I Speed the Drying Time After Shampooing My Carpets?
- 4.4 What is the Cheapest Pet Carpet Shampooer?
- 4.5 Can I Use Vinegar and Essential Oils to Clean My Carpets?
- 4.6 How Do I Store My Carpet Cleaner to Prevent It from Growing Mold or Bacteria?
- 4.7 Related Posts:
Before you buy just any carpet cleaner, consider your priorities. While any carpet cleaner is better than none at all, there are specific features designed to work best for cleaning and disinfecting carpets for pet owners in particular.
Always remember your budget when you think about which shampooer to purchase.
What to Consider When Buying a Carpet Cleaner for Pets
Walk through your home before deciding on a carpet shampooer. Evaluate how many carpeted areas you have.
Think about your pet’s level to dirt contribution to your home. Some pets are cleaner than others, after all.
A Powerful Motor
You will want a more powerful motor on your carpet cleaner if you have pets. Some companies design shampooers for places such as offices with low pile carpet and no indoor animal traffic.
If you have thicker carpet or even shag style rugs, you will need a more powerful motor to get a deeper clean. You should consider this one of the priority features for your carpet cleaner.
Consider Machine Size for Your Situation
Buying the right kind of carpet cleaner for your particular home is also essential.
Generally, larger carpet cleaners have more power. However, big cleaners can also be much more cumbersome to handle. If you live in a small apartment, contemplate storage.
Additionally, if you have a physical condition that makes it more difficult to lift heavy objects, consider a more portable carpet cleaner.
Lifting a Tank Full of Water
Consider the size of the refill tank on any cleaner. A larger tank will require refilling less often. So, if you have no trouble lifting a bucket of water, a giant tank can be more convenient. However, a bigger tank will be more difficult to raise if you have less upper body strength. If a full bucket of water is awkward for you to lift, dump, and refill, look for a smaller tank capacity.
How Many Carpet Do You Have?
Contemplate what kind of cleaning you will most likely be doing. Do you live in an all-carpeted home or apartment?
If so, a full-size carpet washer might be best. However, if you only a few rugs to clean, a carpet shampooer meant for more isolated stains could be a perfect fit.
While owning the top of the line may seem appealing, it could be unnecessary to spend an excessive amount on a shampooer for only a few rugs.
Attachments and Hose Length
Will you need accessories to clean hard to reach spots, inside a car, or even a carpeted cat condo or gym?
Attachments are ideal for reaching under hard-to-move furniture and along the edge of carpeted rooms. So, a long-hosed accessory will be helpful if this fits your situation.
You can also clean upholstery stains and stairways with less effort using long hose.
The 7 Best Carpet Cleaners for Pets 2021
Bissell DeepClean Deluxe Pet Carpet Cleaner and Shampooer, 36Z9
The Bissell DeepClean Deluxe Pet Carpet Cleaner is very similar to Bissell’s DeepClean Premier Pet. However, this version is more for pet ownership. With a “clean shot trigger” that essentially laser-shoots cleaning formula directly onto stains, you can pre-treat spots while using the upright cleaning position. It weighs 32 pounds, has a 22-foot cord, and rotating brushes that can be removed easily to clean fur from the bristles.
Bissell’s stain trapper tool is an attachment that highlights the ability to clean particularly nasty messes. This attachment quarantines accidents in an isolated dirty-water compartment away from the main tanks of the machine. The stain trapper tool’s small container can be screwed off and emptied without the soiled water entering the main tank. The DeepClean Deluxe also had a 3-inch traditional attachment in addition to the stain trapper. A pet hair basket filters fur from entering the tanks, as well.
Moreover, just like the DeepCleanPremier, the tank capacity is substantial on this machine at 1.25 gallons, making for fewer trips to the sink. Slightly higher on the price scale, this sturdy machine is worth the investment if you deal with pet accidents often or own several animals.
- Perfect for cleaning particularly gross accidents.
- More significant tank capacity for convenience.
- Specially designed with pet owners in mind.
- Longer power cord than most machines helps reach farther in large rooms.
- Notably heavier than comparable carpet shampooers.
- More expensive than several cleaners.
- Weightier tank and machine for those who have trouble lifting.
The Hoover Power Scrub is excellent for overall use by pet owners. It features spinning scrub brushes and forced-air heated cleaning to loosen dirt and speed dry time. The brushes are removable if you prefer to clean without them. Its 8-foot hose and specified upholstery tool are lovely bonus features.
Also, the Power Scrub features a stair tool and an attachment for crevices. For a full-size cleaner, it’s relatively lightweight at 19 pounds and has a one-gallon tank capacity. The 20-foot power cord is excellent for pet owners with larger rooms. It also features an automatic detergent mixing system to take the worry out of measuring the correct amount of soap and water.
- More lightweight than most upright carpet cleaners.
- Fast drying time for those who need to walk on their carpets sooner, which is especially beneficially if your entire home has carpet.
- Slightly lighter tank capacity if you have trouble dumping heavy buckets of water.
- Detergent mixing system if getting the ratio of soap and water wrong is a concern.
- Highly rated by consumers.
- Not a specified for especially tricky
- It includes attachments, but compared to a spot cleaner; this is a more general-purpose machine.
- Having a tank capacity on the average to smaller size means extra trips for emptying, depending on your carpet size area.
Bissell ProHeat 2x Revolution Pet Full-Size Upright Carpet Cleaner and Shampooer, 1548
The Bissell ProHeat Full-Size Upright is an antibacterial spot and stain remover powerhouse.
This cleaner features a 22-foot cord, a 7-foot attachment hose, and weighs 17.5 pounds. The ProHeat has a tank capacity of about one gallon — on the average-to-larger side for household carpet cleaners.
The ProHeat cleaner focuses on releasing and removing dirt with “heatwave technology.” The carpet drying time with the ProHeat is among the fastest, at up to one hour.
If you’re concerned explicitly with disinfecting carpets, the ProHeat is a fantastic option for the germ-conscious. Bissell makes an antibacterial carpet detergent to complement the heated carpet cleaning technology of this system. The upright cleaning mode includes a shortened profile and low reaching handle, which makes it easier to clean under furniture such as coffee tables without using the attachment.
- Long power cord for larger rooms.
- Relatively lightweight machine.
- Comes with attachment and the upright use of this machine can reach under some furniture.
- Heated cleaning combined with Bissell’s antimicrobial detergent makes an excellent machine for those concerned with not just washing but also disinfecting carpets.
- Rapid drying time.
- The ProHeat runs on the slightly pricier side.
- On the higher end of cost—not the most expensive, nor extremely budget-friendly.
Bissell DeepClean Premier Pet Carpet Cleaner, 17N4
The Bissell DeepClean Premier Pet Carpet Cleaner is a substantial carpet shampooer for those who want full-room cleaning and fewer trips to the sink.
The DeepClean Premier weighs in at 25 pounds and has a 22-foot cord. This cleaner has an attachment hose, but on the shorter side at only 9 inches while stretched. The width of the cleaning path on the DeepClean Premier is broad, reaching a full foot across.
However, the Bissell DeepClean Premier does feature an edge sweep set of brushes for cleaning along baseboards. It also includes “heatwave technology” to maintain the temperature of water in the tank during cleaning. While this shampooer is a bit on the pricier side, it highlights 12 rows of rotating brushes and a larger tank than comparable machines, at 1.25 gallons.
Bissell also makes a variety of carpet cleaners compatible with the DeepClean Premier, including pet stain and odor removers as well as EPA-approved Scotchgard cleaners to help prevent future stains setting in carpets.
- Larger tank capacity for fewer trips to the sink.
- Slightly wider cleaning path.
- Sweep brush to help clean along baseboards.
- Considerably heavy compared to most cleaners.
- A bigger tank means heftier lifting to dump water.
- The higher cost that many options.
The Bissell SpotBot Handsfree is like something out of the future. The SpotBot is for stain-specific cleaning rather than entire rooms of carpet.
However, it’s ideal for pet owners who need a solution for occasional accidents or smaller stains.
The automated cleaning feature on this machine allows you to set the portable SpotBot on a stain and walk away as the spinning brush deep cleans with 400 rotations.
This cleaner is made for lower-pile carpets and weighs just over 14 pounds with a 15-foot cord length.
Perhaps more amazing, the Bissell SpotBot offers a dog bathing tool bundle with an attachment to wash a dog up to 80 pounds with less than 48 ounces of water. Yes, it’s a dog bather as well as a spot remover.
Consider it a high-efficiency wash for your dog as opposed to bathing in the tub. The dog bathing tool bundle on the SpotBot is perfect for dog owners who want a clean canine, but own pooches who hate baths.
- Ideal for spot treatment or tough stains.
- Very lightweight in comparison to other cleaners.
- Smaller tank makes for easier lifting.
- You can set it on a section that needs washed and walk away while it does the job.
- It can wash your dog, too, with the right attachment.
- Shorter power cord length could pose a problem for those with a stain in the middle of a massive room.
- Not made for whole-carpet cleaning. If you want a carpet shampooer to wash your entire room, this is not the machine for the job.
- Not made for higher-pile carpets. If your rugs are high-pile thick or shaggier styles, this may not be the product for your needs.
- It costs a bit more considering it does not wash entire
Bissell Powerlifter Powerbrush Upright Carpet Cleaner and Shampooer, 1622
The Bissell Powerlifter Powerbrush Upright is a fantastic option for those with vast amounts of carpet. Weighing in at 16 pounds this machine is on the lighter side and has a tank capacity of ¾ of a gallon.
The PowerLifter PowerBrush Upright has a 20-foot cord. This carpet shampooer is meant for use as an upright machine only, as it comes with no attachment.
However, with four rows of dirt-lifting rotating brushes, this cleaner is an excellent selection for those who want to deep clean in larger rooms.
The two-in-one tank system makes for easy filling and emptying while keeping the clean and soiled water separate. As a bonus, this cleaner is on the more budget-friendly side.
- Lightweight machine for lifting.
- Smaller tank capacity is also ideal for those who have trouble hefting weighty tanks of water.
- Extremely budget-friendly compared to other options.
- Perfect for those who want a general cleanser that is easy to move around and don’t need extras.
- Highly rated by consumers.
- No attachments eliminate the option for cleaning stains, crevices, upholstery, chair covers, and edges of carpeted rooms.
- This cleaner requires more trips to the sink because of smaller tank capacity.
- Not a good option for pet owners who need to shampoo their carpeted stairs often.
- Shorter warranty from the manufacturer than some other machines.
Rug Doctor Deep Carpet Cleaner, Upright Portable Deep Cleaning Machine for Home and Office
The Rug Doctor Deep Carpet Cleaner is a bit closer to professional grade carpet cleaners than some of the more budget-friendly options.
It is designed specifically for extracting deep dirt and removing tough pet stains and odors.
With a claimed 75 percent more suction than similar machines, the Rug Doctor Deep Carpet Cleaner offers a thorough clean and speedier dry time than most carpet shampooers.
This machine offers both an attachment tool as well as full-room scrub brush and polish cleaning. It also features a turbo boost option for more soiled traffic areas. Additionally, the Rug Doctor Deep Carpet Cleaner has a large cleaning path reaching a full foot across.
This cleaner is an outstanding option for those who want to own a carpet cleaner in a more professional grade. It weighs in at 24 pounds and cost a little extra than some machines.
However, with a powerful suction motor and a gold rating from The Carpet and Rug Institute, you can be sure your investment will be a high-quality one.
- Professional-grade carpet shampooer with powerful suction for a more thorough clean.
- Slightly broader path can make the job a bit easier for larger carpeted areas.
- Gold Rated by The Carpet and Rug Institute.
- Comes with large attachment for cleaning a variety of stains and surfaces such as couches.
- Much pricier than some machines.
- This machine weighs more than many other carpet shampooers.
- The high profile of this cleaner’s bottom portion can make this model a bit more cumbersome to maneuver and requires the use of the attachment to clean hard-to-reach places, such as under furniture.
Finding the Best Pet Carpet Cleaner – FAQ
Just as with a vacuum, also be cautious with the suction of the machine. Items such as curtain can get lodged in the device, and corners of rugs can be damaged without proper attention.
Will Owning a Carpet Shampooer Replace Professional Cleaners?
That depends on the machine you purchase. More industrial-strength carpet cleaners can substitute professional cleaning in some situations. If you have less carpet and relatively clean pets, a quality at-home machine can eliminate professional cleanings. If you only own a spot cleaner or less powerful shampooer, occasionally, you’ll still need to schedule a professional carpet shampoo.
Will a Carpet Shampooer Actually Clean Better Than a Vacuum?
Yes. A vacuum does a great job of sucking up dirt and dander. However, it’s not on par with the cleaning power of water and detergent combined with the brush and suction of a carpet shampooer.
Vacuums do not disinfect the way carpet shampooers can, especially with the right cleanser.
How Can I Speed the Drying Time After Shampooing My Carpets?
Running a house fan, ceiling fans, and opening windows can speed up carpet drying time.
Opening windows can help particularly on hot, dry days. Try to wash your carpets when it’s not raining and not excessively humid outside.
What is the Cheapest Pet Carpet Shampooer?
The portable machines are cheaper, but does not have as powerful suction or cleaning. The BISSELL Spotbot Pet is fairly low in price.
I would recommend the Hoover PowerDash Pet, which has lots of features and comes at a very good price.
For a larger list of carpet cleaners visit this updated list of the best carpet cleaner machines 2021.
Can I Use Vinegar and Essential Oils to Clean My Carpets?
While using eco-friendly items such as vinegar and essential oils might be great for health and the environment, these can damage some rubber components on carpet cleaners.
Most companies make eco-friendly versions of detergent for those who are more concerned with harsh chemicals. These detergents can still wash effectively without substances that are worrisome to your health.
How Do I Store My Carpet Cleaner to Prevent It from Growing Mold or Bacteria?
Of course, follow the instructions suggested in the manual. However, most of the time you can use a diluted bleach and water solution to rinse the tanks thoroughly.
Allow the containers to dry outwith pour spouts open whenever possible. Never store water, even clean water with detergent, in the tank between uses.